- Board of Directors
- Regional Chairs
- Section Chairs
- Beth A. Wittmann - Appellate Practice
- R. Paul Vance - Young Lawyers
- Thaddeus E. Morgan - Law Practice Management
- David M. Ottenwess - Trial Practice
- Ridley S. Nimmo, II - Municipal & Gov't Liab.
- Darwin L. Burke, Jr. - Insurance
- Gouri G. Sashital - Labor and Employment
- John Mucha, III - Commercial Litigation
- Michael R. Janes - Professional Liability & Health Care
- Thomas Aycock - General Liability
- Committee Chairs
- Graham K. Crabtree - Legislative Liason
- James G. Gross - Minister of Fun
- John P. Jacobs - Past Presidents Committee Chair
- Alan J. Couture - Technology Co-Chair
- James E. Brenner - Amicus Co-Chair
- Diana Khachaturian - Quarterly Editor
- Edward P. Perdue - DRI Representative
- Jenny Zavadil - Quarterly Asst. Editor
- Linda Foster-Wells - Sponsorship Co-Chair
- Past Presidents
- Past Board Members
- Past Chairs
- Executive Director
- JOIN MDTC
- Sponsors & Advertisers
- Job Bank
- Contact Us
Johanna M. Novak
Johanna is a member of Foster Swift's Health Care Practice Group and works from the firm's Marquette office. Johanna practices primarily in the areas of health law, health insurance and employee benefits. Specifically, the types of matters Johanna handles for her clients include:
· Health Law: Represent health care providers in all aspects of their business, including general regulatory compliance, HIPAA compliance, contracting, joint ventures, transactions, and fraud and abuse.
· Health Insurance: Represent health insurance companies and health plans with general regulatory compliance, HIPAA privacy and security compliance, grievances and appeals, document preparation, regulatory filings, and network maintenance.
· Employee Benefits: Assist employers with all aspects of welfare benefit compliance, including document drafting, COBRA administration, mid-year election issues, and tax issues.
An excellent presenter, Johanna frequently speaks on the HIPAA Privacy and Security rules, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Active in both professional and community organizations, she is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan, the State Bar of Wisconsin, the American Health Lawyers Association, the Marquette County Bar Association, the U.P Human Resources Association, and the Marquette County Economic Club.
Johanna received her undergraduate degree from Michigan State University, and her juris doctorate from the University of Wisconsin Law School.
HIGHLIGHTS & RECOGNITIONS
BV® Distinguished™ Martindale-Hubbell
· Successfully appealed the denial of Medicaid reimbursement for a hospital client. The client was entitled to reimbursement.
· Successfully defended several clients during investigations into alleged HIPAA violations by the Department of Health and Human Services. After explaining the circumstances, DHHS agreed that there were no violations.
· Assisted health insurance client with on-site audits performed by state regulators.
Johanna M. Novak
Regional Chair - Marquette
Foster Swift Collins & Smith PC
205 S Front St Suite 2D
Marquette, MI 49855
906-226-5501 | 517-367-7331